Stella Maris Academy Dad’s Club
October 3, 2012
Baron, Michael; Beresford, Jack; Bonakdar, Robert; Bosque, Juan; Broyles, Chris; Cluster, Brian; Cunningham, Cory; Macoviak, John; McSherry, Mike; Moreau, Chris; Nguyen, Phil; Oliver, David; Rodriguez, Mario; Savage, Matthew and Valencia, Cesar
Meeting was called to order by Michael Baron at 7:04 p.m.
Mike reported that the club has approximately $6,800 available.
Wine Tasting – The Second-Annual SMA Dad’s Club Wine Tasting will be held on Friday, 2 November 2012 at 7 p.m. in the Church Hall. Look for a flyer coming out via e-mail. Robert says assistance is needed with donations of food and prizes. The event costs $40 per person and $75 for couples.
Golf – there was no report. A date is expect to be shared soon.
Family Fun Night – folks agreed it was a fun and well-run event. Feedback included the need for a floodlight to assist with food preparation in the alley.
Pancake Breakfast – the first event went smoothly. The club discussed various ways to boost attendance. Ideas included a school competition, more promotion and better quality food. Next event is Jan. 27.
Robotics Club – Robert reported on the club’s progress with 17 to 20 kids participating on Fridays after school. Volunteers have donated time to work with the kids and they may enter some upcoming competitions. Robert shared that the club needs two more kits and is requesting the Dad’s Club fund at least one. A motion was made and it was decided the Dad’s Club would fund two kits or $1,000 (if they are able to purchase three).
USD Soccer – Al Limberg is coordinating again this year. It’s a chance to get out and join other families and SMA staff at a fun outdoor event. The club agreed to purchase 60 tickets at a total cost of $120 for this purpose.
Technology Needs – the school is in need of several iMacs, laptops and iPads for use by students and teachers. It’s not clear with the estimated cost of this is. It was decided the Dad’s Club needs more information before it can make a decision about supporting this request. The topic was tabled until November.
SMA Night at Hennessey’s – this fundraiser is being held Thursday, Oct. 4. It’s part of a broader effort to raise the school’s profile and build community. Be sure to bring a flyer with you.
Running Club – the new Spanish teacher, Mr. Kevin Dunn, has started a before-school running club for middle-school students. Dunn was a coach for eight years at his previous school. He hopes to have the kids compete at a couple of upcoming cross-country events this fall. The club meets Fridays at the Cove at 7:15 a.m. (note: they won’t be running this Friday because of First Friday Mass).
Our next Dad’s Club Meeting will be Wednesday, Nov. 7 at 6:30 p.m. in the Church Hall.
A motion to adjourn was made at 8:13 p.m.
Jack Beresford, Club Secretary
Wednesday 2 FEBRUARY 2011
Location of meeting: Parish Hall, Mary Star of the Sea Parish
1 Cory Cunningham, President
5 Chris Wylhimy
9 Derek Veit, Breakfast chair
2 Al Limberg, Vice President,
6 Bruce Strumlauf
3 Phil Nguyen, secretary
7 Mike McSherry
4 Byron Webb
8 Juan Bosque;
Agenda: No written agenda. Cory Cunningham, President of the Club chaired the meeting. We had Mexican take out dinner and tasted wine for the Gala, Mike brought the wine.
• For the gala, the committee will contact us for assistance. Stay tuned:
• Derek and Cory said we made some money from Pancake breakfast on 30 Jan 2011, but we have not made the accounting.
• No financial report. Chris Moreau was not available.
• We tasted the wine, the Velvet Moon cabernet sauvignon 2009, Trelli cabernet 2009, and the Trader’s Joe cabernet 2008 tasted much better than the Fetzer. General opinion was for the Velvet Moon and the Trader’s Joe in the order of priority .
• Next meeting will be in March first Wednesday.
• Next pancake breakfast will be in April or May. Please check the calendar from the church
Wednesday 5 Jan 2011
Meeting time and date: 6:30-8:15pm
Location of meeting: Parish Hall, Mary Star of the Sea Parish
Cory Cunningham, President RobertBonakdar
Rober Karsuski, membership chair Rick Dengler, Golf Chair
Art Cerveny, ex-president Juan Bosque
Phil Nguyen, Secretary Bruce Strumlauf
Chris Conlin Derek Veit, Pan cake Breakfast chair
No specifc written agenda. Cory had sent email earlier calling for meeting. The following items were discussed nd agreement made:
1. Cory said we now have our own Tax ID number as non profit organization. He is still working on signature authority card for the bank account.
2. Chris Moreau , club treasurer was not present so we have not treasurer’s report.
3. Jan 30 there will be pancake breakfast. We need promotional information from the school office, Wednesday bulletin, email etc…. This appears to be the same date as the School open house. We will need to have support and notice given by all the classroom moms/teachers etc…
4. Poker night, maybe in the spring time, April 16 or April 30. Need to check Parish Hall availability. Art Cerveny will chair th e activity. If he needs help, will call on others.
5. Golf Game, maybe move to Spring time to give us more time to get players. Rick said last time we got only 44 players. The best we had in the past was 52 players. Need about 6 months advance planning to get sponsors and folks to give us promotional prizes.
6. In the Fall we will do tiles on the wall project again. Art and Bruce Strumlauf will get info from Ric and work ont he event/
7. Juan made report on the Christmas decoration project. He sold practically all the 100 decorative balls ordered
8. Potential other activities:
a. Pancake breakfast on 1st Oct
b. Potential Vineyard tour in the Fall
Date to remember: Gala on 12 Feb 2011.
Recorded by Phil Nguyen, club secretary
SEPTEMBER 8, 2010
Agenda: No written agenda. Cory Cunningham, President of the Club chaired the meeting
Old business: No old business. This is the first meeting of the new school year. We have turned a new page for the club.
1. Introduction of all present, including new members.
2. Cory talked about the club and Art Cerveny’s contribution from the last years, He also listed activities the club sponsored, and how the club helped with sport programs, etc…
3. Key fund raisers: Derek breakfast chair, fewer events than last year, 3 only: Oct 3rd the first one, due to difficulties with scheduling.
4. Robert Krasuski, membership chair. Need to pitch more membership, if need arises we can change date of meeting to make it easy for more to attend this year, Robert promised to get three more new members to sign up.
5. Golf chair: Ric Dengler, Golf tournament 29 Oct this year.
a. Robert Krasuski assists with sponsors.: Ric and Cory will send Robert the list of names of past sponsors for him to use to send thank you notes and ask for sponsoring this year game. Robert would like to work on list of things we have accomplished, Art will send him the Dad’s club past activities or Annual Report that showed what we did. Minimum price to sponsor a hole is $100.00. Sponsors will have their names acknowledged with a sign posted at the Tee box for the whole they sponsor. Ric has the sign templates, Cory has the 2 x 4 to fasten the sign on. If Cory cannot find the 2×4 blocks, Phil will make new ones.
b. Ric reported on golf fees: fees will be $150.00 same as last year. Ric indicated we have paid the deposit for the tournament on 29 Oct 2010. We must actively get people to sign up and pay. Aim for minimum 52 players or 13 foursomes
c. Robert Krasuski will help Ric with sponsors. All will work on prizes for raffles
d. Secure insurance for hole in one. We will do it, and pay the insurance.
e. Ric will send flyer to Julie for publication on school website. He will send it to Phil this week, Phil then will make a large poster board for the sign to be posted at Back to school night and at 3rd Oct Breakfast.
f. If you and or your guest do not play golf, You can go for dinner only
g. You and or your guests/friends can also sponsor teachers and staff, for golf and or dinner
6. Back to school night, and new family sponsors, next week 16 Sep 2010: we do wine and beer etc…, and will pitch for Dad’s club and Golf tournament. We need Wine, red, white, appetizers, and water. Phil volunteered to contribute half a case of red wine and a tray of cheese, will be there at 6:00 pm or whenever it is needed. The club can pick up the rest. Volunteers to serve: Chris Wilhelmy. Make sure we have white wine, cups or glasses, napkins. Chris, can you please get a case of water, and some plastic glasses for wine, and water.
7. Chris Moreau presented Treasurer Report. , Only Issues:
a. Only Art can sign check. Chris may open new account so he can sign. If we use the Parish tax ID, we have to toe the line and follow the Diocese regulations.
b. We have debt of to golf course from last tournament.
c. Chris showed us hard copy of the Treasurer report that has more details, pie charts etc… If interested, ask Chris to show it to you or send it to you by email..
8. Art will work with Norm Guay, PE teacher on volunteer coaches for sport games.
9. Dave will help with one basket/bag of goodies for golf tournament
10. Art suggested we throw a social event for grown ups only. Party for one hour DJ, plus other things such as food and wine, etc.. Nov maybe
11. Volunteers for back to school night:, bring wine, beer, water, ice , 600-700. Phil volunteers to bring half a case of red wine, and cheese. Somebody else will bring